Background

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Compassion International Project- Paper Dolls

I have previously blogged about Compassion International and the fact that I've joined their program to sponsor Yuli, a young lady from the Dominican Republic.  Compassion has some rather narrow guidelines on what you can send to your child, financial gift aside.  Being a crafty person, I can definitely get on board with the requirement to send paper crafted items no larger than 8 1/2 x 11 inches and no thicker than 1/4 inch.  Still, pretty cards are nice, but what is a ten year old suppose to do with them once she's read them?










Enter paper dolls.  One day I might take photos of the paper dolls that Brandy and I made for one of my daughter's birthdays many years back.  No promises as I can barely keep up with the projects I currently make.  Suffice it to say that we might have overdid it a bit.  I picked up this set off of Amazon for Yuli. 




You think I could send it intact and let her cut the dresses out.  No, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to embellish the dresses a bit. 












After trimming out all the dresses and the crowns/headpieces, I set about adding glitter with a glue pen.  Getting this to show up on film is a bit of a challenge so you'll have to take my word for it.  These dresses are sparkly. 


I even added some pearl elements to the crowns.  This is not strictly paper, so I'm not sure whether they'll make it through customs.  I thought I'd give it a try.








 I found a Close to My Heart paper collection of ballerina mice.  I used the double sided paper to make two envelopes that I adhered to the back of the paper doll book (which also serves as a backdrop to the ballerina dolls.  I slid the dresses and crowns into their separate enveloped.  The envelopes were made with my Envelope Punch Board.

I've picked up this fairy paper doll set that I intend to send intact.  Surely Yuli will like to cut out some dresses herself?  I'm hoping that both sets will help her to feel like someone half a world away cares about her.  It is joy to share the love that Jesus has given me to one of His own a long distance away. 

5 comments:

  1. Sweet thought, wonderful action and beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous idea and I do hope that they make it to Yuli!! Surely a beaming smile will appear on her face when she gets these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! What a wonderful idea! I sponsor two girls from Honduras, (sisters), one is 14 and the youngest is 9, this is the perfect present for the youngest. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea for a ten year old girl who probably does not have many pretty things. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?